- If you intend to use other people's published or unpublished works in writing another paper, you must ask permission from the copyright holder. To make it easier for the person to reply to your inquiry, you must take into consideration the following: 1. You may opt to add a form for the person to sign and send back, or either send a duplicate letter with an approval space provided) so the reader can hold one copy and send back the other. 2. Also, add a self-address stamped envelope.
- Concisely explain the details of your project and tell the copyright owner why you need to use some parts of his or her material.
- Provide the exact particulars of the materials you will use, especially the page numbers, lines or paragraphs, title, labels or first and last sentences of the content.
- Describe how you see your work to be published or used.
- Exactly discuss what the credit or permission line will be written, so he or she can approve or make other instructions.
- Express your gratitude, and if possible, give him or her a copy of your finished material.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
I will be one of the presenters during our national conference this coming May, and my topic will be on peer evaluation as a means of improving student research. I am planning to utilize your critique of James Dell's paper as an illustration of effective peer evaluation. My focus will be on the paragraphs on motivation, support, and documentation.
I will be quoting the relevant paragraphs in the paper. During my presentation, they will be shown on a screen. I will verbally state that this critique is that of Jen Dickens, former students. Furthermore, I will include your review on the reference page of the paper itself.
I'll be most pleased if I can have your permission regarding this matter. If you are agreeable to this arrangement, kindly sign and then return the attached agreement form using the self-addressed, stamped envelope.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] - Optional -
cc: [Name of copy recipient] - Optional -