- If you intend to use other people's published or unpublished works in writing another paper, you must ask permission from the copyright holder. To make it easier for the person to reply to your inquiry, you must take into consideration the following: 1. You may opt to add a form for the person to sign and send back, or either send a duplicate letter with an approval space provided) so the reader can hold one copy and send back the other. 2. Also, add a self-address stamped envelope.
- Concisely explain the details of your project and tell the copyright owner why you need to use some parts of his or her material.
- Provide the exact particulars of the materials you will use, especially the page numbers, lines or paragraphs, title, labels or first and last sentences of the content.
- Describe how you see your work to be published or used.
- Exactly discuss what the credit or permission line will be written, so he or she can approve or make other instructions.
- Express your gratitude, and if possible, give him or her a copy of your finished material.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
I am a professor at Blueridge College, and I am presently compiling different kinds of printed advertisements to be used in my Advertising Class' study packet. I am planning to use the ads of your new car model from two different magazines for the purpose of showing the different kinds of advertisement for two different niche markets. Kindly allow me to reproduce your advertisement on page 17 in the March 2010 Issue of Architectural Digest, and the advertisement on page 45 in the October 2010 issue of Family Today.
The advertisements will be reproduced in color together with other advertisements showing different advertising concepts. Under each ad is the label, "Used with permission from Lundgren Motors, Inc." Enclosed are the permission sheet as well as the payment form. Kindly have them completed and returned to my office by April 7, 2011, so that I can include your advertisements. Thank you very much for your help. Your ads will help enhance student learning.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] - Optional -
cc: [Name of copy recipient] - Optional -