- If you intend to use other people's published or unpublished works in writing another paper, you must ask permission from the copyright holder. To make it easier for the person to reply to your inquiry, you must take into consideration the following: 1. You may opt to add a form for the person to sign and send back, or either send a duplicate letter with an approval space provided) so the reader can hold one copy and send back the other. 2. Also, add a self-address stamped envelope.
- Concisely explain the details of your project and tell the copyright owner why you need to use some parts of his or her material.
- Provide the exact particulars of the materials you will use, especially the page numbers, lines or paragraphs, title, labels or first and last sentences of the content.
- Describe how you see your work to be published or used.
- Exactly discuss what the credit or permission line will be written, so he or she can approve or make other instructions.
- Express your gratitude, and if possible, give him or her a copy of your finished material.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
Can you please grant me permission to reprint a few stanzas of the poem you've written entitled, "Urban Gardens"? I am going to use the poetry as epigraphs to my upcoming book of photos. I am planning to use stanzas five, six, and seven in their proper order, just like in its first publication in "Hughes Works." The book I will be releasing is a photo essay of Blackwood's urban beauty.
Your poem is an exact match to the tone I want. Each epigraph will be credited to you as "Bill Hughes, from 'Urban Gardens'". I would be deeply honored if you will approve the use of your poem. I will be sending you a signed copy of my book once it is finished. Enclosed is a self-addressed stamped envelope. Kindly sign and return a copy of this message to indicate your approval.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] - Optional -
cc: [Name of copy recipient] - Optional -