- Constantly make sure whose recommendation will be accepted- professors from your previous classes, immediate supervisors from your earlier work, or other high ranking persons whose assessments the reader will deem essential. The letter must be polite, since requesting this letter is a burden on his or her time. There are instances where writers will write a small letter before refusing, thus be confident that the writer will give you a strong recommendation letter.
- Request for the reader to make a recommendation letter on your behalf. Assist the reader to remember details on how he or she met you (e.g. As an employee, classmate, student). Tell him or her when you exactly started to be associated.
- Define the specific post on which you want to apply.
- Provide your reader some information to write by explaining your past experiences, works and contributions. Indicate how you are qualified for the positions, for example, your skills. The objective of the letter is to have him or her write more than "Jane is a good person." Provide him or her a fully detailed resume, this will help him or her remember specific events that will be helpful on your behalf. Add it together with your letter. In most cases, you can include your resume as an attachment with a request on email.
- Tell him or her you are thankful for his or her time and consideration. Provide details of how the recommendation letter will be sent.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
Presently, I am working on my applications to different graduate schools, and I find it essential to look for individuals who can give letters of recommendation about me. I have many mentors but you are the one who helped me the most in my intellectual advancement, and you have an excellent perspective when it comes to my capabilities. As such, I am asking you to support me in my dream to pursue higher education.
I am aware that you are busy with your many commitments and responsibilities, but I hope you will spare me some of your precious time to write a letter of recommendation. After all, the deadline is still two months away. I have also attached the recommendation forms of each University wherein I am hoping to apply. If you are not able to grant my request for any reason at all, I will understand. Your contributions to my education are already generous, and I am truly grateful.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] - Optional -
cc: [Name of copy recipient] - Optional -