- If you are writing about an issue, make your position clear right from the start. Back it up with substantial evidence. Explain why the reader should consider your suggestion. Make an emotional appeal along with stating logical arguments. Don't exaggerate your stance or use any provocative expressions because the reader won't take you seriously. If you want the reader's response, ask for it.
- Explain the issue and clarify your position on it.
- Support your stance with strong evidence and logical arguments.
- Tell the reader what you think he/she should do about the problem. You can also make an emotional appeal if it seems appropriate.
- Close with a call to action. Also, mention the benefits of following your suggestion.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
The tax system review is of top priority for this year's agenda. As per my experience with the tax system, I would like to suggest that the level of taxation be reduced to an affordable amount. Value added taxes should also be more economically liberal. And most importantly, the tax system should be made more understandable to encourage the support and cooperation of the citizens.
I believe that the improvements that I stated earlier are beneficial to the majority and would most like gain support from the public. We are all one in our desire to maximize the taxes collected yet at the same time not leaving the people shortchanged.
Please do make the most of your intentions and efforts for an effective tax reform. Keep working on it as what you have promised during the campaign. I believe you are a man of integrity, and I look forward to the change that we have all been wanting to see in the government's tax system.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] -Optional-
cc: [Name of copy recipient] -Optional-