- When asking for a direct monetary donation, keep in mind the perks that the reader and the community can get by giving to your cause. Write the letter attractive, and be clear that you are specifically asking for financial donations.
- Start the letter with a fascinating story, anecdote, statistic, question, hypothetical situation, present him or her of a compliment (a gift for donating) or others.
- Give details about your organization or cause.
- Particularly explain where the money raised will be used.
- If you have a target money that you are trying to raised, include that amount.
- Request for a specific money amount (or range of amounts).
- Provide a deadline on which the money must be sent or received. Make the reader get the sense of urgency of the matter.
- Explain the benefits (concrete or not) that the donor will get by donating money to your organization.
- Illustrate how the reader can make the contribution via phone, mail, online, or others. If you are expecting to get donations by mail, include on your fundraising letter a self-addressed and stamped envelope.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
It is easy to see that people in our city have several unmet needs. The gravity of the situation is seen in the infinite number of homeless and unemployed individuals as well as the decreasing assistance of government programs. For several years now, Compassion for Life, founded for uplifting the state of our citizenry and correcting the injustices of the society, has been striving not only to resolve the problems in our society but to seek the leading causes thereof and fight for relevant local and social changes in our policies.
To further this endeavor, however, necessitates a strong financial foundation, which is built by compassionate citizens like you. We appreciate your faith in us in meeting the people's needs. Indeed, we have to do our part in finding solutions to our societal problems. In view thereof, we are asking for your wholehearted support of our mission.
Enclosed is our brochure showing the various levels of support wherein each level provides considerable contributions to assist us in our operations. We are appreciative of contributions at any level though we are hoping that you will choose one of those in the top two levels that enable you to become a member of our organization. You will be receiving our monthly publication as well as several advisory services.
We deeply appreciate your support and compassion.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] -Optional-
cc: [Name of copy recipient] -Optional-