- When asking for a direct monetary donation, keep in mind the perks that the reader and the community can get by giving to your cause. Write the letter attractive, and be clear that you are specifically asking for financial donations.
- Start the letter with a fascinating story, anecdote, statistic, question, hypothetical situation, present him or her of a compliment (a gift for donating) or others.
- Give details about your organization or cause.
- Particularly explain where the money raised will be used.
- If you have a target money that you are trying to raised, include that amount.
- Request for a specific money amount (or range of amounts).
- Provide a deadline on which the money must be sent or received. Make the reader get the sense of urgency of the matter.
- Explain the benefits (concrete or not) that the donor will get by donating money to your organization.
- Illustrate how the reader can make the contribution via phone, mail, online, or others. If you are expecting to get donations by mail, include on your fundraising letter a self-addressed and stamped envelope.
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
[Subject: Normally bold, summarizes the intention of the letter] -Optional-
Dear [Recipients Name],
Imagine yourself walking or riding a bicycle from Royale Lake to Greenbay Park every day if you want. Our Blue Royale riverside trail is just about to become a reality. Negotiations on the right of way are done, and construction can start as soon as the amount of $1,800,000.00 is raised. As agreed by the city council, an appropriate sum of money has been set aside for the trail's maintenance in the condition that tax dollars will not be used for its construction.
Our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren will see this as an incredible legacy. Children and adult alike will enjoy this scenic, and peaceful piece of nature running through our city.
We hope that you can donate enough for a paving stone. Asphalt will be used on most parts of the trail, however, engraved paving stones will be used for the portion near Greenbay Park. With just a mere $150, we will engrave your name on a paving stone as an appreciation of your generosity. Some families even decided to give enough to have a paving stone for each of their family members.
We understand if you cannot donate enough for a paving stone right now. But every contribution, regardless of the amount, will be highly appreciated. It is our great chance to help start the construction of the Blue Royale riverside trail.
[Senders Title] -Optional-
[Enclosures: number] -Optional-
cc: [Name of copy recipient] -Optional-